Wednesday, May 9, 2012

My Home As Art :: The Penners :: Pasadena


Meet the Penners. George, (one of our fearless leaders) Judy, Kate, and Oliver. Their light-filled Mid-Century Modern home is a soulful mix of art and design.  

What do you love most about your home?  Our home is a Post & Beam Mid-Century that has tremendous light and glass sliders that provide access to the outdoors from every room.  What I love about the house is that if feels easy to live in.  We have attempted to gather an eclectic grouping of furniture, paintings and photography –things that don't feel too contrived, austere or expected.  I just designed and built a new bed for Judy and myself that I really like.

What drew you to your home?  Sited on a promontory, the house sits at the top of a long driveway.  Once inside, you get this arresting view of the Arroyo and the San Gabriel mountains.  The view is spectacular and tends to draw people right through the house to the back yard. 

What is your favorite thing to do at home?  When I get the chance, I love to spend a summer Sunday afternoon reading a few design magazines on the patio.  Then, we pop open a bottle of wine, fire up the BBQ and cook a really nice meal with the entire family.  It is a great way to finish off the week.  

When I'm home I feel...?  Relaxed and usually a bit tired.  Working in real estate, I spend a lot of time on the phone and computer, (or in Los Angeles traffic) meeting with clients, agents and strategic partners.  The moment I walk in the house, I get a sense of calm.

What makes your home "ART" ?  Art for me is livability, surrounded by things that I enjoy and opportunities that expand my horizon.  That means family, friends, intriguing design, great food and our dog Piper, to name a few.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...