Thursday, January 9, 2014

Partner Spotlight: Steve Clark


It was almost five years ago that Steve Clark joined deasy/penner as a partner. After an illustrious real estate career, Steve says, “It was the best decision I could make.” No small praise, considering that Steve is not only a Los Angeles native, but also a former rock-and-roll drummer who toured around the globe. We had the opportunity to catch up with this L.A. tastemaker about architecture, tips for buyers and sellers, and his favorite neighborhood.

Do you have a favorite architectural style?

Spanish. I've owned and reinvented two different 1930 Spanish homes, and I love the character and history associated with that time… the colorful tile, the arches throughout, the Magnesite staircases, and of course those gorgeous lath and plaster walls. Really, they don't build houses like that anymore. I look forward to getting home at the end of a long day.

Do you have a favorite house you've sold or bought for a client? 

Tough question! Every client has a unique story, and their homes have stories as well. My favorite part of my career is helping a client make the right match -- whether it's finding the perfect house to buy or finding the right buyer for a listing. My favorite house is the one I'm currently listing. I get emotionally attached. After all, if you don't love it, you're not really representing it, right?

What is your best piece of advice to someone house hunting in the Los Angeles area? 

My clients and I talk extensively about their work, their career, and their lifestyle before even starting to look at homes. Where they work and play is critical. This city can eat you up if you work on one side and live on the other.

What’s something that sellers need to do better?

The internet has changed the way we buy and sell homes. A seller has the opportunity to reach more people than ever before. However, the house has to look its best. Great photos are more important than ever. Make your house look better than it has ever looked before. Stress to your realtor: DO NOT skimp on photos.

What is your favorite LA neighborhood and why?

That's easy… Silver Lake. I’m born and raised here. I've had the opportunity to sell homes from the ocean to the San Gabriel Valley, but I always come back to the epicenter of cool. Each community definitely has its thing, but for me it's Silver Lake, hands down. They're my people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...